It’s not enough to just have space in our van, we had to find ways to utilise that space and make it as functional as possible.
Sliding storage underneath bed
You could spend hundreds on sliding rails for underbed storage. I chose a simpler approach with two rows of plastic tubs suspended with aluminum right angle. Though not as convenient as sliding drawers it makes it easy enough to retrieve stuff from the back and cost under $50.00 AUD.
The angle is attached to the framework on one side. Notice that first I used sheet metal screws. I later realised that they were scraping on the plastic tubs so I had to redo the holes with a countersink bit so I could use countersunk screws.
Two crossbars had to be constructed to support the angles in the middle of the bed. These also further supported the bed slats. The crossbars were bolted in on each end of the bed.
I discovered that Bunnings sell locking drawer slides. I didn’t wish to have two locks on each drawer so I purchased a standard set of slides and split them.
Boxes were built out of ply.
The rails attached to the boxes and the sides of the framework.
I later cut the drawer into two and added an extra drawer slide above. The top drawer would kept into place with a piece of wood and opened by unlocking the bottom drawer.
The drawers with the final trim now installed.
Cupboard hanging space
The two bottom cupboards have enough room for hanging garments when they are folded. Kid’s size coat hangers were perfect for the job.
A rail was cut to size from 20mm dowel. The attaching blocks were made with a 20mm forstner bit.
- Building a Van Home for a Cat (and Two Humans)
- Finishing Touches And Extra Storage Ideas In A Sprinter Van Conversion
- Flooring, Ceiling, And Everything In Between In A Sprinter Van
- Van Storage With Hanging Space, Locking Drawers, And Suspended Tubs
- Building The Framework For A Bedbase, Kitchen, Cupboards In A Sprinter Van
- Blind Threaded Inserts Hold The Van Together
- Building A Custom Roof Ladder For a Sprinter Van
- Insulation And Ventilation for a Sprinter Van
- Building A 12v Electrical System For A Sprinter Van
- Custom Roof Rack – Sprinter Van Build